Monday, July 14, 2008

Let's Print Some Motherfuckin' Photos


Double Sided
Originally uploaded by alexszeliga
I promised, and I came through. I feel like I am developing. My strategy of watching movies with good cinematography seems to be working. This week it was American History X. I developed two rolls from Hobotopia, that I shot with Kevin this week and I ended up with about 10 shots that I actually like. That means I am almost up to a 1:4 ratio of good to bad shots.

I learned an important lesson this week: One Hour Photo prints look terrible. They look terrible enough to make a shot that I would like, had it been printed well, appear indistinguishable from a terrible photograph with no redeemable qualities.

I made a couple of prints this Sunday under the careful guidance of Kevin Convery. While doing so, I've decided that I never want to go back to digital photography. Ever. I'm starting to understand how much digital photography stunted me creatively. I had no boundaries, no rules and nothing pushing me to advance. Shooting film, until this weekend just felt like the right thing to do, now I know it's the right thing to do. As with every other other comparison I've ever been faced with, be it music, movies, or photographs, analog is still miles above digital in quality. I actually kind of feel sorry for people who aren't refined enough to understand the difference.

When I look at my prints, no matter how close I get to them, I never see a pixel, I never see an artifact and, most importantly, I never feel like the medium has diminished the initial concept. Now whether my ability has done so, is another story, but again, in limiting my excuses, I have less choices beyond becoming better.

So please, check out my Flickr page, and If you know me, ask me to see my prints. I want to show them to you.

No comments: